PHYSICIANS MUTUAL INSURANCE COMPANY
PHYSICIANS LIFE INSURANCE COMPANY
NOTICE OF PRIVACY PRACTICES UNDER THE CALIFORNIA CONSUMER PRIVACY ACT OF 2018
This NOTICE OF PRIVACY PRACTICES is adopted to comply with the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 ("CCPA") and any terms defined in the CCPA have the same meaning when used in this notice. This notice applies solely to information that identifies, relates to, describes, is reasonably capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, with a particular California resident or household and that is subject to the CCPA ("personal information").
At Physicians Mutual and Physicians Life, we are dedicated to protecting your privacy, and this notice outlines what personal information:
- we may collect from you;
- the business purpose it may serve;
- the personal information that may have been disclosed for business purposes;
- the categories of third parties the personal information may have been disclosed to; and
- the rights granted to you as a resident of the State of California.
Note that personal information does not include publicly available information from government records, de-identified or aggregated consumer information, or certain other information excluded from the CCPA's scope. For example, health or medical information covered by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 and personal information covered by certain sector-specific privacy laws, including the Fair Credit Reporting Act and the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act, are not covered by the CCPA.
Collection, Use, and Disclosure of Your Personal Information
We may collect for operational and/or marketing purposes (both online and offline) the following categories of (and specific pieces of) personal information from you, your authorized agents, third parties that interact with us in connection with the services we perform, and activity on our website:
- Age (Operational and Marketing)
- Ethnicity (Operational and Marketing)
- Financial Information (Operational and Marketing)
- Gender (Operational and Marketing)
- Geolocation Data (Marketing)
- Insurance Information (Operational and Marketing)
- Marital Status (Operational and Marketing)
- Medical Condition/Information (Operational)
- Military/Veteran Status (Operational)
- Personal Identifiers (Operational and Marketing)
- Professional or Employment-Related Information (Operational and Marketing)
- Signature (Operational)
We may disclose your personal information to a third party for a business purpose. When we disclose personal information for a business purpose, we enter a contract that describes the purpose and requires the recipient to both keep that personal information confidential and not use it for any purpose except performing the contract. We disclose your personal information for a business purpose to the following categories of third parties: our affiliates, service providers and third parties to whom you or your agents authorize us to disclose your personal information in connection with products or services we provide to you.
During the past 12 months, we have collected, and for business purposes, disclosed the following categories of personal information:
- Financial Information
- Geolocation Data
- Insurance Information
- Marital Status
- Medical Condition/Information
- Military/Veteran Status
- Personal Identifiers
- Professional or Employment-Related Information
We do not sell any personal information, and have not done so during the past 12 months.
The CCPA provides you with the right to request that we disclose certain information to you about our collection and use of your personal information over the past 12 months. Once we receive and confirm your verifiable consumer request, we will disclose to you:
- The categories of personal information we collected about you.
- The categories of sources for the personal information we collected about you.
- Our business purpose for collecting that personal information.
- The categories of third parties with whom we share that personal information for business purposes.
- The specific pieces of personal information we collected about you.
- If we disclosed your personal information for a business purpose, a list identifying the personal information categories that each category of recipient obtained.
You may only make two (2) such verifiable consumer requests within a 12-month period. The verifiable consumer request must provide sufficient information that allows us to reasonably verify you are the person about whom we collected personal information, or an authorized representative, and describe your request with sufficient detail that allows us to properly understand, evaluate, and respond to it. Verified requests can be made using the contact information below.
You also have the limited right to send us a verified request to delete certain of your personal information we have retained, subject to certain exceptions set out in the CCPA. Note that if you are a current customer of Physicians Mutual and/or Physicians Life, any personal information required to provide you with any and all services associated with your policy will not be deleted.
We will not discriminate against you for exercising any of your CCPA rights. Unless permitted by the CCPA, we will not, as a result of you exercising any of your rights under the CCPA:
- Deny you goods or services.
- Charge you different prices or rates for goods or services, including through granting discounts or other benefits, or imposing penalties.
- Provide you a different level or quality of goods or services.
- Suggest that you may receive a different price or rate for goods or services or a different level or quality of goods or services.
For Further Information
If you have questions regarding this notice, or want to make any of the requests described above, you may contact us at:
Physicians Mutual Insurance Company
ATTN: Customer Group Administration Privacy Desk
P.O. Box 3313
Omaha, NE 68172-4005
1-866-471-7642 (Toll Free)
Request forms can also be found at www.physiciansmutual.com/PrivacyRequest.